About Me
- SummerKnight
- Easy going personality. Don't like to sweat the small stuff. Life is too short!
Friday, July 10, 2009
For A Nickle I Will !
When I was A kid my mother decided it was time for me to learn the value of a dollar. So she gave me a nickle a week allowance ! Of course I had to earn it. Along with the nickle came responsibility and chores to do around the house. I was already doing chores so I really didn't understand that. But wow ! a nickle, what could I do with that. I took my nickle and walked up E.19th St. towards Ave U. Now right outside Harvey Cleaners was a great gumball machine set up. One side with pistachio nuts and the other with large mixed colored gumballs. No, I think I'll continue up past the butcher shop on the corner.Turning the corner on the left was a toy store and hobby house with a hand crank machine outside that you could view all the old fights. Boxing would never be the same ! Decisions, decisions or I could go across the street to the Big Apple supermarket and get a giant pickle out of the barrel....or..maybe across to the corner candy store,Ruby's Soda & Fountain, where Sandy made the best egg creams in Brooklyn and get myself a nice candy bar. I couldn't take it anymore I just had to watch the fights...wow great ! Then I realized I had to wait another week for 5 cents more. Any way my allowance was short lived on many occasions for one reason or another. Justifiable only to mom. She would get upset that I kept buying candy or watching the fights. The clincher was when I started trading the big nickle for my younger brother's little dimes. Is it my fault he wanted the bigger coin ? I walked into my bedroom huffing and puffing that she took my allowance away again. I mean what did she expect me to do with it ? ...."Your supposed to save it"...I heard from the kitchen... How does she always know what I'm thinking ?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yeah, this sounds like something you would have done! LOL
ReplyDelete